Tuesday 27 May 2014

College Update - May 2014

I can't believe that I've been at college for nearly a year and that I've almost come to the end of my time there. I really loved it and I feel like it was a big achievement for me compared to how I was this time last year and this time two years ago too! It's easy to forget that I went from having a home tutor for a couple if hours a week to going to college with a lot of noise and bright lights and people (even if I didn't manage it most of the time!) 

It's great to be able to feel like my old self again, even if it's only for a few hours and I really enjoyed being with people my own age. I really loved it so much and got so upset when I couldn't go. I think at the same time, being at college made me realise even more, what I was missing, not being a normal teenager and not being able to join in. 

It was also hard to explain to people about my illnesses and although everyone was open to learning about ME and fibromyalgia. I'm not sure anyone understood how much it affects my day to day life, which isn't their fault, they are hard to understand illnesses, especially as I look fine. 

I think the downside of going out and pushing myself to do things that I'm not really well enough to do is that it can make people think there is nothing wrong with me and that because I am able to do it once, I must be able to do it every day. I guess in that sense, I'm not really helping myself because I'm not supporting the things that I'm telling people but I guess if they are true friends, they will understand and I did meet some really great friends at college who I hope I can stay in touch with. 

As I said, I'm not going to college next year so if anyone has any suggestions to any online courses or anything I can do, please let me know, I'd be really grateful! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment